The Patrick Collection
The Patrick Collection began back in 1960 when a decaying Austin Ten was spotted in a driveway in Hockley Heath, this was no ordinary car however, It had been built by coach builders at Patrick Motors Ltd in the 1930’s and, after it was purchased for the princely sum of £5, the two men who had originally built it, lovingly restored it to its former glory.
This was just the start that Joseph Patrick (then Chairman of Patrick Motors Ltd) needed. He loved his own private cars and could not face selling them and had accumulated a small collection. Over the years this became known as The Patrick Collection, and in the 1980’s, after Joseph had died, his son Alexander opened a purpose built museum in Kings Norton. At its peak the Collection owned over 240 cars reflecting the influence of the internal combustion engine on our lifestyle over the preceding years. The displays were regularly changed with at least 70 vehicles on display at any one time.
Due to the demands of upkeep on such a large collection and general economic pressure the original museum was closed and the majority of cars were sold off. The remaining handful of vehicles, memorabilia and library, are now housed in a warehouse complex, again in Kings Norton.
Julian Pritchard, the current Chairman to the Trustees, and grandson of Joseph Patrick, works with the small team to keep the museum in the public eye. Although not open on a daily basis the Collection will open via appointment, with guided tours also available on request. Please contact our curator, Peter Harper, on 0121-459-4656 to arrange your visit.
The Patrick Collection is owned by The Patrick Foundation, a charitable trust registered with the Charity Commission (Charity No 515566) and therefore a donation is requested for admittance. The current request of £5 per adult, includes admittance of an accompanied child. Rates for Car Clubs and Group bookings can be agreed with our curator.